Tuesday, September 20, 2011
Renaissance Revivalist
I've never had such a busy schedule. I'm somewhat of a Renaissance Man - I have no skilled trade I specialize in... except them all. Once I get the hang or get good at something I tend to neglect it and find something else. Strangely enough, this has never transferred over to my relationships, be them friends or women - I'm loyal to that sense (so don't worry ladies). This loyalty has never happened though to any particular area. I am finding in my current job I've had for many years that I am restless and feel I've done what I can and learned what I have and need to move on. The economy doesn't help and the other internships or jobs I've looked for provide dead ends. The one thing I've enjoyed the most about my current placement is the freedom I have. It's nice to set your own schedule, do what you want, work in a relaxed environment, and know the work really well. I'm faced with crises on a daily basis working in administration for construction but I've done just fine over the years. That's my problem though is I've become too complacent. I want a challenge! My job is stressful but I've learned (the hard way) to not take it personal. It's hard not to though because I take my altruism with me everywhere I go. I feel it's important to help others for the simple sake of helping them if you can. No return necessary. This should be applied anywhere one is - whether at work, school, the field, the studio, or church (and I'm not religious). I believe this is part of what they call ethical leadership. I guess that's what makes my diversification valuable since I can learn to adapt to whatever situation I'm in, learn it, apply what's necessary, and move on to the next. Or maybe I've been watching too much of The Pretender ;)
Labels:
Renaissance Man
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I totally understand where you're coming from. Sometimes I feel the same way. I'm always super busy but it's weird that I always get complimented because I never show that I'm stressing out. Working in a political office could be such a burden. At some points I felt like I knew my duties to well and did really have any challenges or that I wasn't going to go anywhere from there. Once we started seeing the budget cuts and doing more with less, that's when we all started getting challenged and almost forcefully had to learn how to do other things. Thanks to that I've become more knowledgeable with things.
ReplyDeleteHope you find something that sparks enthusiasm to work with pleasure a not just because you have to. =)
I also live the lifestyle you are describing. I am always running around getting things done at feel that 24 hours in a day is not enough. I sometimes think that if I don't live a fast paced life then I am wasting time. And wasting time is money.
ReplyDeleteTheresa
I totally understand your situation! Not too long ago I was in the same boat. I had a full time job with great benefits, but each day was a drain because I was rarely challenged. Just keep in there and be open to new opportunities - even if they may not pay as much or seem like they would be completely out of character. I made a change and am forever grateful that I did. Best of luck in your search!!
ReplyDeleteAlso, how awesome is it that you have a skill like carpentry. That's definitely a great skill to have in times where government/nonprofit jobs are shaky..