Earlier today I participated in ASU SPA's first ever Day of Service and enjoyed meeting with the others who came out to help clean up some lots in south Phoenix. We were there 3-4 hours cleaning up the area and it definitely needed it! A lot of the trash had been there so long it literally had become part of the earth. I was thinking there would be a lot more people but being 8 AM on a Saturday I don't know if that was really the best time to have the event. Nevertheless, I think it was worthwhile and good to see many people from some of my classes.
Events like this, even though small, work to create or inspire people to do something more for the community and be of service to others. Picking up trash in some vacant lots of land isn't exactly going to change many things but I think it plants the seeds for people to make a conscious effort to attend such events and down the road further their own involvement on bigger scales that can really play a role. I wish I would've gotten involved in such activities sooner in life.
I completely agree with you. I think it was great for the school to encourage us all to get out into the surrounding community. Not all of us live near the DPC but we all spend a significant amount of time there for our classes and I think it is important for us to connect with the surrounding community. Great post!
ReplyDeleteI wish I could have gone to this event today! I did get the email and was pleased to see that such an event was taking place. Thanks for representing.
ReplyDelete