Thursday, November 3, 2011

Spiral Out.. Keep.. Going...

Met another interesting person down at Lodestar. The participants in my class got into interesting discussions regarding science, 2012, and all kinds of things. It was encouraging to see conversation kept at a sophisticated yet fun level especially considering it was with people experiencing homelessness.

One person in particular picked up on a Tool (band) lyric reference I snuck into the lesson plan for the day. I was talking about Fibonacci Sequence and how it's related to spirals found in nature as well as the shapes I was having them pick out themselves. Afterward, I got to talk one on one with the guy who was about my age and knowledgeable in all sorts of music and art. It surprised me and he admitted to he was here because he lost his construction job and was finally evicted from his apartment for not paying rent. You'd never think someone like him is literally homeless - he dressed normal, was polite and respectful, engaged in great conversation, and knew a lot about a lot. I only saw him the one day, which may be a good thing, but in meeting more and more clients like him it's causing me to look at things more different than I already do and want to become more active.

3 comments:

  1. With the recent recession, the typical "homeless" person has changed from the traditional image most of us have. Homeless people are not just people we may see panhandling downtown: they are our family, friends, and acquaintances - maybe even coworkers. I sure hope things improve soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have the opportunity to talk to people that I was surprised were homeless. Often these people are the victims of circumstances that are beyond their control or they made a poor decision that resulted in the situation that they find themselves in. Its unfortunate and sadly it seems to be a growing sign of the current economic crisis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you posted this. I think it is important for people to be aware of the many faces of homelessness and that we can no longer think of homelessness from a chronic perspective. There is some work being done on homeless prevention programs, efforts to provide people with temporary assistance that will help through a rough patch and hopefully help them stay housed. I think the previous comments are fantastic representations of what I wish were greater public sentiment and understanding about individuals experiencing homelessness. This is such an important issue and I am glad to see such thoughtful dialogue. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete