Before entering this semester I never would have imagined myself working for a non-profit or public service organization. I originally began attending college courses on music so I could become an engineer behind the scenes. After realizing the economy doesn't really require such work in a recession I decided to try my hand at criminology and got an Associates Degree in Science for that subject. Never wanted to be a cop or work in a prison, so just as I began criminology courses at ASU for lack of something better I discovered the Public Service and Public Policy major literally at the last minute and I'm glad I made the switch. Over a year later I am about to graduate after one more semester and I am looking forward to discovering all the alternatives I have. In reviewing people who have public service-type degrees it becomes apparent how versatile the degree is. People hear my major and think I want to be a politician or governor. If I liked the bureaucratic environment I'd agree but I don't and have to explain how many different career fields yield to this type of degree. I wish I could just show them this video which Dr. Koppell lays it all out quite nicely. I was privileged to have Dr. Koppell as an instructor in person this semester and hope he continues to teach courses physically at ASU.
No comments:
Post a Comment