Thursday, December 1, 2011

Round 1.... Fight!

Had my first dispute between students and it was disappointing to say the least. I was walking into class to setup the room and was followed by a couple of students from last week who enjoyed the lesson. This was nice because even though the tables aren't heavy my wing span is only so long that it takes 2 people to set up tables. After I got done I noticed a lady walking through the doors with many things in her hand so I went literally 10 ft to open the door for her. It's loud in the main lobby and so I could not hear the class room though I was within 3 foot steps of it. As soon as the lady made it through and into the room one of my students who comes from time to time was walking out. I questioned where she was going, saddened she was not staying. She said she cannot be in the same room as a couple of the other students because of the names they call her and supposedly there is a female gang in the women's part of campus. Unfortunately, I did not hear if anything was said but don't think it was since the remaining students did not say anything or act perturbed by her presence. I made sure to bring this up to the coordinator but I was disappointed to hear of an ongoing problem and heard a lot more than I can appropriately share here! I guess in reflecting on this event I'm surprised more of this hasn't happened since we're dealing with people who live on the streets in a different world and who know each other very well in and around town, not just on campus.

1 comment:

  1. I understand how hard it can be. You want to help, but sometimes they are in cruddy positions. Keep you head up and know that your work is helping.

    ReplyDelete